This episode covers a fascinating class of materials called auxetics. Experience tells us that when we pull a material in tension, it should shrink; auxetics do the opposite. By shifting, winding, or rotating, these materials get wider when stretched and thinner when compressed.
- Lakes R. Foam structures with a negative Poisson's ratio. Science. 1987 Feb 27;235:1038-41.
- Evans KE. Auxetic polymers: a new range of materials. Endeavour. 1991 Jan 1;15(4):170-4.
- Saxena KK, Das R, Calius EP. Three decades of auxetics research− materials with negative Poisson's ratio: a review. Advanced Engineering Materials. 2016 Nov;18(11):1847-70.
- Grima JN, Evans KE. Auxetic behavior from rotating triangles. Journal of materials science. 2006 May 1;41(10):3193-6.
- Alderson A, Alderson KL. Auxetic materials. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part G: Journal of Aerospace Engineering. 2007 Apr 1;221(4):565-75.
- Konaković M, Crane K, Deng B, Bouaziz S, Piker D, Pauly M. Beyond developable: computational design and fabrication with auxetic materials. ACM Transactions on Graphics (TOG). 2016 Jul 11;35(4):1-1.
If you have questions or feedback please send us emails at [email protected] Make sure to subscribe to the show on iTunes, Spotify, google play, and now Youtube or wherever you find your podcasts. If you like the show and want to help us reach more people, consider leaving a review - it helps us improve and it exposes new people to the show. Finally, check out our Instagram page @materialism.podcast and connect with us to let us know what new material you’d like to hear about next. We’d like to give a shoutout to AlphaBot for allowing us to use his music within the podcast. Check him out on Spotify. And as always a special thanks to Kolobyte who created the intro and outro for our podcast. He makes a ton of really cool synthwave music which you can check out at kolobyte.bandcamp.com. Also visit our sponsors for this episode www.materialstoday.com and matmatch.com. Follow us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/materialism.podcast/?hl=en Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/MaterialismPod Visit our website: www.materialismpodcast.com Materialism Team: Taylor Sparks (co-creator, co-host, production), Andrew Falkowski (co-creator, co-host, production), Jared Duffy (production, marketing, and editing)
Support Materialism by donating to their Tip Jar: https://tips.pinecast.com/jar/materialism